Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Grace Within Shoshana


Shoshana Harvey to so many has been an answered prayers. She is obviously that to her wonderful children, Ke Ke Nunnery 22, Damani Harvey 16, and, Damion Harvey Jr. "DJ" 13. She is the ultimate Mom. She is an Athlete, Blogger, Radio Show Host/Contributor, Facilitator of Recruiting Information, Daughter, Sister, Cousin, sadly a Steeler Fan....and my friend.

I'm honored to put her name in the same sentence as my Mom-Doris W. Cooper-Jones. I am sure she is bragging about this one in Heaven. Shoshana is, "Grace," in difficult times, wonderful times, and, just times.

Damion, Ke Ke, Mom, and Damani
She is that answered prayer to me too. I prayed on this BLOG. I prayed about this BLOG. And, I waited until I knew for sure who I wanted to write about first. I really feel I got it right. Here is why.

I have grown because of her. I have expanded my horizon because of her.. I am a better BLOGGER and Journalist because of her. Her journey is a wonderful one. And, in some ways parallel to mine.

Shoshana is a Calli Girl! Born in Pacoima, California. She was also an athlete. She cheered and ran track for North Valley Golden Bears from San Fernando Valley in California.

And, yes I know once you get to this point in your life there will be some bumps and bruises. The one thing we do know is that God will bestow grace upon you. Shoshana knows that too; exudes that Grace. And, is winning at this thing call life even when she does not feel she is.

Shoshana and I are kindred spirits when it comes to Sports Talk Radio Host and Sports Bloggers. Being, females in the journalism business we run in the same circles a lot of times. Together on separate, coasts, we are carving out a path in the world of media. I recognized her talent early. And, I am able to be a cheerleader with ease in her life. I able to fix her crown from here when it is tilted just a little bit. I am able to pass on some wise words of comfort when needed. And, most of the times it is just out of the blue. #neverplanned

You can see Shoshana any day of the week being the #1 Cheerleader of her children. And, that is really where this BLOG is going. I want to chronicle her journey in a concise way and at the same time let her know her success is recognizable.

Damion is the man on the football field. Damani is playing volleyball at a high level. And, Ke Ke is blogging and paving her own. It's so powerful to see healthy children living out their own dreams and being a part of teams, and flourishing within their age groups. That has a lot to do with Mom....

Shoshana lost her Mom recently. Dorothy J. Kelly has received her wings. And, as difficult that is to read or say, I know she knows Mom is still guiding her steps. Guiding her through love, finance, motherhood, career, and family.

In the interview, I want to touch on her being a Mom and having a Mom that poured into her constantly.

I had to ask her about Mom. I could tell through her walk and journey that she was close to Mom. I asked her, "Please tell me a little bit of her story." She quickly said, "Mom was my ROCK. She was my everything." Amen to that Shoshana. I can feel and identify with your words with my Mom.

Dorothy J. Kelly, Shoshanna's Mom
Her Mom is still her rock. She is just providing the strength from a higher location, Shoshana. And, actually, she is living through you. You look like her. And, if you ask the people around you, they would probably say you sound and act like her. That was and is a strong legacy. It keeps on; presses on, and proceeds on.

Shoshana was a young Mom herself. She asked Mom for an insurance card but did not tell her why. Mom said, "Girl you better not let that rabbit catch you!" But, the rabbit did.. And, she eventually had to tell Mom.

Ma, I have something to tell you, she said. "What, you better not let that rabbit catch you," Dorothy said. Shoshana said, "I told her." And, Mom let her know she would help her take care of the baby while she furthered her education but, she would not keep her while she went out and had fun." #powerful Ms. Dorothy knew a little something about young Moms. She was one too. She knew exactly how to help and guide Shoshana in the right direction. Thank God for Moms....

Mom, not only helped her daughter then. She continued to help throughout her adult life. If Shoshana couldn't be at two places at the same time Mom took one child and game and Shoshana took the other. #ROCK. She alluded to long talks and conversations with her Mom that has shaped who she is today.

Roadtrip meant everyone was going. And, Mom was ready when you got there to pick her up. I read where Shoshana just had a road trip for Mani and Volleyball recently. And, she paid tribute to her Mother.
It's about that time. It's bittersweet because I know my mom would be right here ready with her chair, talking to everybody who walked by letting them know Mani is her granddaughter. Let's get it Mani. #DJKisourAngel #Volleyballmom#LAVAWest18Adidas
Mom & Daughter
Continue to pay tribute girl. It's cathartic. And it honors your Moms LEGACY!

I asked Shoshana about her favorite things and she obliged me. The movie "Steel Magnolias," is her favorite movie. She discussed how this movie has stayed with her forever because she loved the strong relationship between Mother & Daughter in it. But, another movie also came to mind. She talked about how "Almost Christmas," affected her.  She felt like this movie helped her laugh and get through the holidays after losing her Mom.

She was in the middle of reading a book entitled, "The Artist Way At Work." The groundbreaking book The Artist's Way has helped more than a million people access their creativity and realize their dreams. That's Shoshana...realizing her dreams and tapping into her creative side.

In asking her what would she tell your 21-year-old self? "Enjoy life, and enjoy the moment," she said. Also, "slow down is something she would say to her younger self. Take things one step at a time."

I asked who ate the most in the house and she said, "Without a doubt DJ!"  Ke Ke was/is the bossy one. (Shoshana did say that with love and affection). And, that seems appropriate. #LOL. Make sure to check out her (Ke Ke's) New BLOG...

I have checked it out and in one word she is Fierce!! At just 22 years of age, look out world, we have the next generation making serious moves. I absolutely love to see that. I haven't asked this, but one would assume her Mom laid the foundation and led the way for writing and blogging.

Damani Harvey, Girls Varsity 
Mani is the other athlete in the house causing road trips. And, I am proud she is a volleyball player like I was. Shoshana said, "It all started with her not wanting to run track and she said absolutely not to cheerleading. So she picked up a Volleyball! She found her niche, out here sending emails to Colleges." Make sure to check out her HUDL Page. The talent is not just at the net. She can DIG too. And, this picture is from 2014, but, HUDL Profile lets you know she is Class of 2018 at Chaminade HS. 5'8-125lbs. The fruit does not fall far from the tree.

DJ has been described as a beast on the football field. I wonder if Mom has anything to do with it. She definitely understands the game beyond most women and a majority of men. I would stake a lot of that being a fact.

With Social Media being what it is today, I asked about how she handles Social Media with the young ones. She says, "They know if the password is not known then they don't get to have it. And, I do check it.....sometimes they know it and sometimes they don't. I have had no problem with Social Media.

DJ #5
Shoshana is Co-Host on Californias National Sports Report Radio Show with Coach P, and Coach Duck Riley. Together they are formidable in the reporting on HS & College Sports and letting parents know their options when it comes to the Recruiting rules of the NCAA.

Shoshana says, "I try to bring the Mother's Perspective with "SportsMomOnTheGo." I try to give parents that view. The view that lets parents and especially Moms of recruiting athletes all know the rules. Her tagline is, "Information at your fingertips." Recent posts give the readers tips on Social Media, Recruiting, and Conflict within a team. Make sure to stop by the BLOG.

When I approach Shoshana about being the subject of this interview for my blog honoring my Mom, she didn't flinch. But, what she did say is thank you. Maybe this is a sign for me to get back to what I know. She also posted....
I have been having a rough couple of days boy when I tell you a rough couple of days. But, when I tell you that when God puts someone in your circle all you can do is be thankful! Today there were tears but I truly thank you Princess Cooper! I know my mom is smiling down on me. ❤️
Hey, Shoshana, you are the Matriarch now. Mom has passed it on. I was not willing to immediately pick up the baton when Mom transitioned. But, it is my crown now. Please wear your crown, my FRIEND. Continue the journey of success and Grace. You have the formula. Don't doubt yourself. Grace wins every time. You are carrying it even when you are not having the best of days. Remember, Dorothy J. Kelly gave you all the tools to win. She is indeed smiling.

Thank you for allowing me into your world just a little more. Thank you for allowing my readers to view Grace in action. A big HUG from Columbia, South Carolina. #prayingforcontinuedsuccess #yougoGIRL #SportsMomOnTheGo #Family #DJK'sDaughter

The FAMILY! Damani, MOM, Damion, and Ke Ke  



No comments:

Post a Comment